Monday, July 12, 2010

3 points if you know Utah's state folk dance

Behold, the annual trek to Utah.

First off, a trip to Temple Square.

I couldn't resist taking this picture of a worker meticulously scraping the "gunk" off a fence surrounding the temple.  I have never thought about the bird droppings that must be constantly removed.  And how do they keep the birds from nesting in the recessed windows and the like?  I am very aware of birds, you know.
The Assembly Hall. 
I love this.
Someone's in our family picture.
Hot and sweaty kids.
Are they looking for coins?  Or just cooling off?  I think both.
These two were so good.  Just happy to be there.
(George on the left.  Hank on the right.)
Owen stars in most of the photos, because I can keep up with him, and when he finds something he likes, he stays for awhile, and I can get a shot.  The olders jet from place to place too fast.
Chandelier and stained glass at The Joseph Smith Memorial building.
It seems like we've taken our kids to Temple Square a lot, but most of our kids did not remember it at all.  Turns out, we have driven by many times, even toured the conference center, but have not toured the temple grounds since before Owen was born.  Maybe I am thinking of my own childhood when we went every summer.  Because it was not only meaningful and beautiful, but free.

And just so I don't forget how novel this seemed to me:  We met a sister missionary from Pakistan.  Maybe someday that won't seem like such a big deal, but in 2010, it IS big.  We spoke with her and her Taiwanese companion at length, while the kids explored the visitor's center movies and displays.

7 comments:

Cathy said...

It's the Square Dance! And I love Temple Square.

Jennifer said...

Okay, I am dying b/c I think we were both in Utah at the exact same time. We were there from June 29-July 5. You? And do NOT tell me you went to Stadium of Fire, too, or else I really will cry. And not just because I don't look/sing like Carrie Underwood, which already had me teared up.

Looks like a great trip, though. Your girls are so grown up!

Sarah said...

Cathy! You are the winner. Have fun with your 3 points!

Jen! Are you serious? We were there from 6/30 - 7/6. How did we not see you? We were not at stadium of fire but we watched those very same fireworks from emily's house on the hill. We have got to keep better track of each other.

Hilary said...

Fun trip! We probably passed you on the road somewhere on our way to Idaho.

Ezra, Kian & Eden said...

Those are great pics! I'm missing UT right now...well at least the cooler temperatures anyway. Family trips are the best!

amyegodfrey said...

I love these photos! I love Owen's expressions! The kids are so sweet, and cute, and wonderful! I'm glad we got to spend part of the trip with you. I'm sad we missed seeing Jenny.

Amy said...

Great pics Sarah! Owen just cracks me up! The architecture there is really something. It's amazing they can keep it so clean. you have such a beautiful family!