Monday, August 15, 2011

what's in a name?

Most British Baby Names, 2010
RANKBOYSGIRLS
1AlfieMaisie
2OllyPoppy
3ArchieEllie-May
4HarryImogen
5KenzieLily-Mae
6FinlayFfion
7BarnabyDarcey
8OllieFreya
9FreddieBethan
10OsianEllie-Mae
This is interesting.  The author of The Baby Name Wizard, points out that British names are not what they used to be, or at least not the formal, stereotype names we, as Americans, expect them to be. These are the author's own lists of typical British-sounding and typical American-sounding names.
Molly was just asking the other day what I would name her if she was a boy, born right now. I said, "Alfie."  She was not happy, but I was not kidding.  Must be all the Lark Rise to Candelford I've been watching lately.
There are several others I love on that British list too.

Most American Baby Names, 2010
RANKBOYSGIRLS
1LandonAddison
2AnthonyAvery
3GavinHailey
4AngelAllison
5AndrewKaylee
6BraydenAubree
7JoseNatalie
8ElijahBrooklyn
9ChristianAshley
10HunterLillian

6 comments:

abby said...

Alfie and Minnie are absolutely on my list. Jamie even has a great grandma Minnie!

Sarah said...

I adore Minnie. That name was part of our recent conversation too.

amyegodfrey said...

I have a student named Alvie. I like that name, too.

LuLu said...

Hmmmm... not so sure about Barnaby but I love Freddie!

Sarah said...

me too! love freddie!

Delightful Domestic Science said...

Alfie is such a sweet character isn't he?