Wednesday, December 19, 2012

just a few more days to get to Target

photo by Blue Lily

Are you done with your Christmas shopping?
Not me.
I have just one more run to Target, and that should wrap things up.
Why is it I could not "wrap things up" on my last 4 visits to Target?
Hank and George are part of the problem. I don't visit the candy aisles, toy aisles, or Christmas aisles when they are with me, for obvious reasons.
But this happens every year, with or without them.
It's not that I don't know what the plans are.
I keep a detailed spreadsheet every year with each child's name across the top.
Each child gets 5 gifts and a stocking.
The 5 gifts (down the side of the spreadsheet) are as follows:
to play
to read
to sleep
to watch
to wear
I fill in the intended purchase for each category, then when I have actually made that purchase, I highlight that box in yellow (because with 6 kids, sometimes I forget what I've bought).
When my whole spreadsheet is yellow, I know I'm done.
There is some leeway in the stocking category. The stockings are filled with mini cereal, goldfish, underwear, socks, small toys, etc.
That list is loosely filled out in October/November, but as I see things at the store, I inevitably add to the stocking list.
And thus, my shopping dilemma.
As this section of the spreadsheet begins to fill up, sometimes it gets a little lopsided in one child's favor. I then have to "even out" the other stockings and make "just one more trip to Target."
Plus there are school teacher gifts, piano teacher gifts, guitar teacher gifts, cousins gifts. I keep track of them on the spreadsheet too, but somehow I fail to look at those as often.
All in all, it's a good system.

Still, Target is at the top of my to-do list.

And so, even with all my best laid plans, I will be, reluctantly, making that one last trip to Target today. Do you think it's possible that next year, I could stay away from my beloved Target for a whole month? Maybe I'll shoot for December 10 - January 10.


3 comments:

Muche said...

Here is the thing: if you get done shopping too early, then you end up buying even more "little extras". You're better off shopping for the real stuff till the last minute, you spend less that way! Speaking from experience :)

Ezra, Kian & Eden said...

I feel like we might lead slightly mirrored Christmas lives, you and I. :) Good luck with your last trip...my fingers are crossed it works out to truly be the last one for you. Thanks for your cute card! Merry Christmas!

Gray Family said...

Funny, I thought I was the only one with the Target addiction...was there yesterday, going back tomorrow, and I don't even have a Hank or George to blame it on. You just leave them with me next time...I need another distraction to keep me home.